The heart does so much more than harbour a crush on your favourite movie star! The heart performs one of the most important jobs in our bodies - pumping blood, oxygen and nutrients from head to toe, through the arteries and veins to reach every cell in the body. A well-functioning heart and cardiovascular system is necessary for optimal health. One of the most effective ways of supporting your cardiovascular system is to ensure that your cholesterol levels are maintained within a healthy range.
Whether you are 25 or 75 years old, you are never too young or too old to start looking after your heart and cardiovascular system. Take some time to consider how amazing your heart is. Did you know that this one muscle can beat up to 100, 000 times a day, which equates to over three billion heartbeats during an average lifetime?1 This machine deserves to be looked after and may just need a little tune up from time to time. To stay as healthy as possible for years to come, we recommend having your blood pressure and cholesterol levels checked regularly to ensure your cardiovascular system is in tip top shape.
LDL:HDL Cholesterol - It's a Balancing Act
HDL and LDL are letters that you may have seen before on a blood test, and your Healthcare Practitioner will be interested in reviewing these to monitor your cholesterol and cardiovascular health. But what do these letters really mean? Your total cholesterol is made up of two kinds, often referred to as "good" and "bad" cholesterol. HDL (high-density lipoprotein) is sometimes called "good" cholesterol, because it helps remove cholesterol from the body. HDL does this by binding with cholesterol in the bloodstream and carrying it back to the liver for disposal. A high HDL level is beneficial for heart health. In contrast, low-density lipoprotein (LDL) is often referred to as the "bad" form of cholesterol. It is important to keep your LDL:HDL ratio in a healthy balance. Aim to have higher levels of the "good" and lower levels of the "bad" cholesterol.
Natural Supplements to Make Your Heart Glow with Good Health
Now it's time to ensure your heart is getting all of the love and support it needs, with the help of natural medicines specifically targeted for cardiovascular and cholesterol health:
Ethical Nutrients Cholestrienol: Ethical Nutrients Cholestrienol is a product to support cardiovascular health, combining citrus bioflavonoids from citrus peel and tocotrienols, members of the vitamin E family. Ethical Nutrients Cholestrienol contains a clinically trialled formula to maintain cholesterol and triglycerides within the normal range, and improve the LDL:HDL cholesterol ratio. At just one capsule per day before bed, these ingredients may help healthy individuals to support their cardiovascular system by assisting healthy cholesterol levels.
Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10): CoQ10 supports the health of the heart, one the most metabolically active organs in the body. Ethical Nutrients Q10 Absorb (100 mg and 150 mg) contains naturally fermented and sourced CoQ10 in a highly absorbable form providing you with six times the absorption of other oil based CoQ10s. CoQ10 acts as an antioxidant and assists cardiovascular, arterial and heart health, as well as assisting normal blood pressure in healthy people. CoQ10 also plays a vital role in energy production, and may assist in times of fatigue.
Fish Oil: Omega-3 essential fatty acids from fish oil have many health benefits for every cell of your body, including those in your heart. Fish oils, rich in active constituents EPA and DHA, support healthy cardiovascular and heart function, while helping to maintain a normal, healthy LDL:HDL cholesterol ratio and triglyceride levels. Ethical Nutrients Hi-Strength Liquid Fish Oil is an easy way to improve your omega-3 essential fatty acid status and keep your heart healthy and happy.
Simple Strategies for a Healthy Heart
These simple strategies can help you look after your heart and cardiovascular system, as well as maintain healthy cholesterol levels:
- Follow a heart-friendly diet: Opt for a diet based on fruits, fibrous vegetables, nuts, wholegrains and protein from fish and lean meat. Reduce salt, saturated fat, trans-fats and refined sugars.
- Be active: Exercise is the gift that keeps on giving. It directly impacts cardiovascular health by improving the strength and fitness of the heart muscle and blood vessels, as well as improving blood flow.
- Maintain a healthy weight: Carrying excess weight places a heavy burden on your cardiovascular health. Reduce your risk by trimming down your waistline with a healthy diet and lifestyle.
- Stop smoking: Cigarette smoking has been linked with many health problems including poor cardiovascular health. Quitting smoking can improve your quality of life and help maintain optimal health.
- Have regular health check-ups: Monitoring your blood pressure and cholesterol levels can help you maintain healthy cardiovascular function.
- Stress less: Stress is all around us, however we need to take a hold on stress before its takes a hold on us. Stress management techniques such as yoga, meditation, exercise, deep breathing and massage can all help you cope better with daily stress.
Put Your Health First
Give yourself the gift of health and make the decision to look after yourself better this year. Research confirms that following a healthy diet and lifestyle is the secret to maintaining long-term cardiovascular health. With the help of natural medicines, you can maintain cholesterol levels within the normal range and optimise your heart health for years to come. Make your health a priority so you can feel great now and also reduce your risk in the future. Be healthy and stay healthy so you can enjoy the things in life you love. Your heart will thank you for it.