Winter is Here. Now What?
It’s winter time again and you find you’re reaching for the warm dressing gown and slippers, and throwing an extra blanket on the bed to stay cosy. Though the cooler weather can bring some pleasant changes, less welcome, are the sniffles that the change of season can also bring. At this time of year it is not uncommon to notice people on the train or in the office coughing and sneezing; and as you may be aware, contact with sick people wherever it may be, can increase your likelihood of catching a cold. However with a few simple changes to your diet and lifestyle, and some supplementation, you can shield your immune system and head into winter strong.
Herbal Immune Support and Cold Symptom Relief
Kick start your immune shield this winter with Ethical Nutrients Immune Defence. This formula contains a combination of herbs, including Andrographis, Siberian ginseng, Echinacea, BCM-95 Turmeric and other nutrients which have been traditionally used to help support healthy immune function when taken at a convenient dose of one tablet a day. If you are unfortunate enough to develop a cold and find yourself in bed feeling miserable, you can take one tablet of Ethical Nutrients Immune Defence twice daily to help reduce the severity and duration of your cold symptoms. This means fewer days spent blowing your nose and a quicker return to work and play. So, if you find yourself reaching for a box of tissues as your nose begins to run, you can also reach for a bottle of Ethical Nutrients Immune Defence.
How Can Probiotics Boost Your Immune System?
Your gastrointestinal tract is colonised with populations of bacteria, or flora, from birth and as an adult the numbers will have increased to more than a trillion. In fact, by adulthood it is estimated that intestinal micro-organisms amount to ten times the number of human cells in the body!1 While this may sound unsavoury, these micro-organisms play an important role in maintaining optimal health and wellbeing, with the therapeutic use of ‘good bugs’ or probiotics that help maintain healthy levels of gut flora also helping to support healthy immunity.2 Inner Health Immune Booster for Adults and Inner Health Immune Booster for Kids contain a blend of probiotic strains that have been clinically trialled3,4. The findings of the trial were that the probiotic strains in Inner Health Immune Booster for Adults may help reduce the likelihood of you acquiring more than one cold, whilst the probiotic strains in Inner Health Immune Booster for Kids may help to reduce the number of runny noses and coughs in your little ones. In addition, the daily use of these probiotic strains may reduce the duration of cold symptoms, thereby reducing the number of sick days. This means fewer days off and a quicker return to work for you, or back to school for the kids. Think of these probiotics as extra immune protection this cold and flu season.
Lifestyle Tips to Avoid the Winter Woes
Take steps to support a healthy immune system this winter with these pro-active tips:
- Regularly wash your hands using soap – this limits the spread of germs and therefore the chance of infecting yourself. If you’re out and about, take some antibacterial wash or wipes to use before eating, after using public transport, or after handling money
- Adopt an antioxidant-rich diet - including a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables provides nutrients that help support healthy immune system function
- Ensure you get enough sleep - sleep deprivation can lower your immunity
- Manage your stress levels - stress hormones lower your body’s natural immune response and
- Engage in regular exercise to improve overall health. The World Health Organisation (WHO) recommend adults aged 18 to 64 years should do at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic physical activity throughout the week.5 This is equivalent to 30 minutes of brisk walking or running five days a week.
Arm yourself with the tools you need this cold and flu season by implementing these immune-supporting tips, and remember - Ethical Nutrients Immune Defence, Inner Health Immune Booster for Adults and Inner Health Immune Booster for Kids are available to help you embrace wellness this winter.
References available on request.