What is a probiotic?
Probiotics are friendly bacteria that support good health and vitality. Probiotics beneficially affect humans by improving the balance of flora in the digestive system. The word probiotic actually means "for life": pro + bios = "for life".
Did you know that the human digestive system contains over 400 different species of micro-organisms? On average, an adult human carries about 3 to 4 kgs of bacterial gut flora. This represents an enormous number of bacteria. The reason we have so many bacteria inside us is because we require them for many beneficial actions within the body.
Why do we need friendly bacteria?
In order for us to maintain a healthy digestive system we need to ensure that we have lots of "good" bacteria. These friendly bacteria have a number of important roles:
- Improving your digestion;
- Reducing symptoms of medically diagnosed irritable bowel syndrome (IBS);
- Detoxifying chemicals;
- Producing nutrients to repair the gut lining;
- Increasing resistance to infections and regulating the immune function;
- Preventing the overgrowth of bad bacteria.
Are all probiotics the same?
Taking a probiotic supplement daily may promote good health and help maintain a healthy immune system, however not all probiotic supplements are created equal. Different probiotics have different effects within the body – there are many probiotic products on the market, but they are not all the same.
Why strain matters
It is important to check the strain of the probiotic you are taking. Probiotics differ according to genus (e.g. Lactobacillus), species (e.g.acidophillus), and strain (e.g. NCFM). While all probiotics are considered safe and friendly in a broad sense, not all probiotics possess enough health benefits to be considered therapeutic. This is why it is important to use the right strain for the job you have in mind. At Ethical Nutrients we carefully select the strains of good bacteria used in our products based on scientific research, for optimal therapeutic benefit.
If you are supplementing with the correct strain of probiotic, the next question is does the probiotic survive the passage through your stomach to the intestines where it is required? The ability to survive digestion is an important feature of a good probiotic. At Ethical Nutrients we choose strains of good bacteria, for example the NCFM strain of Lactobacillus acidophilus, which is acid and bile resistant and hence have the ability to survive digestion.
Do I really need a probiotic?
Very few people can truly say that their diet and lifestyle is perfect. This is just a fact of living in the world today. We can, however, still strive to get the most of life by having a healthy diet, exercising regularly and by considering the many benefits of probiotics.
The number of 'good' bugs in your digestive system can be imbalanced by a wide range of factors including:
- Excess alcohol intake;
- Consuming too much dietary fat;
- Eating a low fibre diet;
- Excess stress;
- Exposure to toxic substances;
- Eating too many processed and unhealthy foods
Inner Health Plus is a probiotic supplement that will help support your general wellbeing, digestive health and immunity. If you have been taking a course of antibiotics a probiotic such as Inner Health Plus may assist in maintaining the balance of good bacteria. With 25 billion bacteria in every capsule you would need 22 tubs of yoghurt to get the same amount of good bacteria as in just one capsule of Inner Health Plus.
Inner Health Kids: Inner Health for Kids is for every child*, everyday to support general wellbeing and digestive health.
Condition specific probiotics
Other probiotics in the Ethical Nutrients range address very specific health concerns and may help reduce the symptoms and help manage the particular condition. These are the different probiotics available from Ethical Nutrients and their benefits.
- IBS Support: IBS Support may help manage the symptoms of medically diagnosed Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
- Inner Health Immune Booster Kids: Inner Health Immune Booster for Kids may assist in maintaining a normal, healthy immune system in children – especially if they are exposed to lots of colds and 'flus at childcare or school.
- Ethical Nutrients Travel Bug: Ethical Nutrients Travel Bug may reduce the risk of diarrhoea when travelling. This is the probiotic to take with you if you are travelling overseas and want to help avoid getting any tummy bugs!
- Ethical Nutrients Gastro Relief: Ethical Nutrients Gastro Relief is for the relief or treatment of diarrhoea in adults and children. This probiotic may help to reduce the frequency and severity of diarrhoea.
- Ethical Nutrients Eczema Shield: Ethical Nutrients Eczema Shield, taken by mothers during pregnancy and breastfeeding, may help to reduce the incidence of eczema and food allergies in their infants and children.
*Suitable for children from 3 months