Zinc and C for a Healthy Body
While ensuring good overall nutritional status is essential for a healthy body, zinc and vitamin C are two nutrients which can be particularly useful to keep you functioning and feeling your best. These two super nutrients are invaluable for keeping your immune system strong, improving the health of your hair, skin and nails, aiding the healing process and have antioxidant benefits. Sub-optimal levels of zinc are very common at all ages, especially in the elderly; and as many as 75% of females and 45% of males may be zinc deficient . Zinc is an essential trace mineral; you must obtain it from your diet as your body is unable to make it. If you do not obtain adequate zinc, your zinc levels may become low, which can negatively affect your immune health. Certain factors such as excessive exercise, stress, smoking, drinking coffee and alcohol also increase the excretion of zinc; increasing your need for this important mineral.
Ethical Nutrients Mega Zinc with Vitamin C contains 40mg of easily absorbed zinc with vitamin C to maintain and healthy immune system and support healthy skin. Click here to see our full range of immune health supplements
Zinc For Healthy Hair, Skin and Nails
Do you find your hair is starting to lack lustre? Is your skin looking less than perfect, or are your nails becoming weak, brittle, or starting to split? If so, your body may well be calling out for more zinc! Hair, skin and nails are all made of connective tissue, which is constantly renewing as old cells are shed, and new cells grow to replace them. Zinc is needed for building new connective tissue, and is essential for maintaining healthy skin, hair and nails. Ethical Nutrients Healthy Hair, Skin & Nails contains zinc, together with nutrients that may support healthy tissue, such as silica, biotin, betacarotene, vitamin E, and selenium. Silica is an especially important nutrient as it concentrates in the nails, hair and skin to assist collagen formation and build the structural framework for the skin. The nutrients in Healthy Hair, Skin & Nails may help to maintain your skin smoothness and texture, strengthen soft and brittle nails and support healthy hair - leaving you looking and feeling your most radiant!
Boost Zinc Naturally With Foods Rich in Zinc
It is important to include foods rich in zinc in your diet to ensure you are receiving an adequate intake of zinc each and every day. Choose from the following list of foods and add some zinc to your diet:
- Lean red meats such as beef, lamb and pork.
- Chicken, duck and turkey (particularly dark coloured meat such as thighs and drumsticks).
- Oysters and fish including salmon.
- Nuts and seeds including pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, peanuts, pine nuts, brazil nuts, walnuts and cashews.
- Whole grains and pulses, including chickpeas, lentils, black-eyed peas and wheat germ.
- Leafy green vegetables, green peas, mushrooms.
- Eggs, yoghurt, milk, hard cheese, blue vein cheese and tofu.
Tasty Snacks to Top up your Zinc Tank
Top up your zinc tank by whipping up one of these quick and easy snacks, using foods rich in zinc.
Yoghurt with fresh fruit, shredded coconut, wheat germ and pumpkin seeds
- Combine ¼ cup natural yoghurt with sliced banana, apple, rockmelon and 2 tbls of shredded coconut, 1 tsp of wheat germ and a handful of pumpkin seeds.
- For a great snack at work or on the run, combine an even amount of brazil nuts, pumpkin seeds, cashews, almonds and sunflower seeds.
Beef and veggie sticks
- Cut beef, zucchini, capsicum, mushrooms and onions into bite size pieces.
- Marinate in soy sauce, garlic and ginger for 2 - 3 hours.
- Next thread the meat and vegetables onto skewers and BBQ until cooked through.
- Beef can be substituted for tofu for a delicious vegetarian option.
Spiced roasted chickpeas
- Add 1 can of rinsed chickpeas (patted dry) into a fry pan with 1 tbls of coconut oil, a pinch of salt and pepper, ½ tsp sweet paprika, ½ tsp ground cinnamon, ¼ tsp ground allspice, ¼ tsp ground ginger and 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper.
- Fry until brown and crisp, stirring often.
- Hard-boil 4 eggs in boiling water.
- Cut the boiled eggs in half and scoop out the yolks.
- Combine the cooked egg yolks in a separate bowl with ¼ tsp curry powder and 1 tbls of whole egg mayonnaise.
- Mix well and place a small portion of this mixture back into the boiled egg whites. Eat and enjoy!
- Pfeiffer C.C and LaMola S: Zinc and manganese in the schizophrenias. J Orthomol Psychiatryl.